I have been a wife and mother for over twenty years. Now I am becoming my husband's lover, too.
We owe it all to my fellow bloggers who gave me the courage to come out to my husband as a spanko.
I do feel like this is a New Beginning for us.

You must be 18 to view this site.

Saturday, May 03, 2008

My day off

There is a great Fantasy Friday up this week! Go here if you haven't had the chance to read it yet. And please take the time to vote and you are welcomed to email me your vote if you would like to. Being the detail whore that I am I love to know why you vote the way you do!

I had a most interesting Thursday. I played hooky from work. Shame on me I know but sometimes you just have to. One of my favorite authors was going to be in a near by town and I wanted to meet her. I ask my good friend Mur to go with we and we would have lunch later. Actually she had been encouraging me to play hooky one day for a while.

We headed out visiting as usual. But she soon started answering me with very short, sometimes one word answer – very unlike her. I was beginning to think she was feeling bad because she always talks! But then when she ignored one of my questions completely I looked over and she was asleep. Then I knew she was just not feeling well. Nick laughed when I told him my first concern was her not talking much. He said that could be a symptom for me too. But not the sleepiness, in a car I can fall asleep backing out of the driveway (and that when I’m driving)!

When we arrived at the book store and I tried to wake her up I knew we had a problem. She would talk but it didn’t make sense and she couldn’t seem to keep her eyes opened. I got her husband on the phone to see if she was on some new medicine that could be causing this. When he said “No, get her to the hospital” I got there in just a few minutes. She seemed perfectly content, not at all curious as to why we were in a hospital she could not tell them her birthday and in answer to their questions told them it was the 24th (it was the 1st), and that it was Monday (it was Thursday) and that it was 1991.

I stayed with her until her husband that there. The doctors, fearing a stroke had seen her at once. She was answering much more clearly after 15 minutes or so. In fact she was teasing when she shouldn’t have been. As her husband came in the nurse asked “Can you tell me who this is?” She looked at him and said “I’ve never seen him before in my life.” I could tell by her tone that she was kidding so I tapped her on the foot and said “Mur, tell the nurse who this is.” She smiled and said “This is my husband, Will.” But she was thinking slow, not slurring her speech but thinking for a long time before answering and talking slowly.

I left soon after as they started even more test. Late that afternoon Mur called me, apologizing profusely. She seemed fine but couldn’t remember anything about the day from about 10:30 until around 5:00. It was a PSI or mini stroke. This could indicate more problems to come or she might never have a problem again, hard to tell and scary. Another thing I think about is that on most of our outing she drives, this time I just pulled up behind her car and told her I would drive. Glad I did!

So that was my day off. I think for stress relief I might as well go to work!!

11 comments:

  1. We have too many parallels in life, PK.

    One of the main reasons I live near my folks' home again was when my mom had a mini-stroke about 8 years ago. She had been driving to her sister's house (the one who's husband now has pancreatic cancer) and when she got there, did not know how she got there.

    I was 12 hours away. Now I live minutes away.

    Yeah, you need to go have a stress free day at work.

    With your students.

    Riiiiiiiight.

    Hugs,
    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not the day off you had planned but for your friend, it sure was a good thing you were with her. Had you gone to work, she could of been alone or driving herself to some store. So very glad you were there for her.

    Hugs
    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad your friend is all right and that you were there for her. take care! Hugs, Terpsichore :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. PK, good thing that you were there for your friend.
    Now have a relaxing day at school.
    Love and warm hugs,
    Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PK!!
    My sister just had some episodes, just like your friends. She's having difficulty getting blood to her brain. They still don't know what it is. They're doing all kinds of tests. She didn't have a stroke, but some of the same symptoms. I hope your friend and my sister get better fast.

    Hugs,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori said it best. Not the day you had planned, but it was good that you were with her. Sounds like a bit of God's plan for the day.

    Hugs,
    Marcus

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sheez, you really know how to relax on your day off!

    I'm sorry that this happened, but I'm glad you were there to take care of it.

    HUGS!
    grace

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:06 PM

    What a day. I'm glad it worked out for you and Mur and her family.

    So much for taking a mental health day! I'll bet you'll think twice about that before doing that again! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is super scary! It sounds like you were pretty level headed about it all!
    -Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow how scary. What a day off. I think you need a day off from your day off. I'm so glad you were with her though. I am so comforted that you were able to help her and her husband through this.

    Love,
    Carye

    ReplyDelete
  11. Marcus,
    We do have parallels. I took care of both of my parents during there last years. It was very hard at time but I was so happy that I was here to do it.

    Lori,
    I have worried a lot about what would have happened if she had been driving.

    Terpsichore,
    She is a strong lady!

    Paul,
    That is what I will be doing this week, relaxing at school!

    Michelle,
    I hope your sister finds out what is going on and is able to correct it. Let me know what they say.

    Grace,
    I don't think anyone is going to ask me to plan their day off. But all's well that ends well.

    Elizabeth,
    Most of the days I take as mental health days are great, but not this one.

    Jessica,
    I was super scared! I just got everyone done before I let it hit.

    Carye,
    Yep it was scary, I think I will just stay at work from now on.

    ReplyDelete