I have been a wife and mother for over twenty years. Now I am becoming my husband's lover, too.
We owe it all to my fellow bloggers who gave me the courage to come out to my husband as a spanko.
I do feel like this is a New Beginning for us.

You must be 18 to view this site.

Wednesday, September 01, 2021

Commas save lives.

Just as I begin to forget the frustrations teachers have to deal with, Mollie will call and tell me about her day.


You could talk with my amazing editor, Rosie Dee, and she would tell you I’m no expert on comma placement. But I’m better than some. Mollie got the following note from a parent the first week of school.

 

My child will be a bus rider Thursday and Friday he will be a car rider from then on.

 

Okay, in your mind, what is the father saying?

 

In Mollie’s mind, and mine, the kid would ride the bus Thursday and Friday and then be a car rider from then on.

 

No, no… 

 

He was trying to say that the child would ride the bus on Thursday (comma) and (beginning) Friday he would be a car rider from then on.

 

It pissed me off that he called the office to tell them how stupid Mollie was. She just shrugged it off. But pointing out to the office staff that commas save lives:

 

Let’s eat Grandma.

 

Let’s eat, Grandma.

 

 

10 comments:

  1. Let's eat Grandma lol. I interpreted the note the same way PK. I'm not expert either.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parents and their notes could be very confusing.

      Delete
  2. "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" by Lynne Truss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so funny! All we need to do is say it out loud and listen. Put a comma in when you pause. You’ll usually be correct. I love the grandma example.
    Rosie Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm still trying - but I'm glad you have my back!

      Delete
  4. Well, I'm with Molly. Sigh. Commas are so important. Especially the oxford comma, I hate it when people don't use that one!

    I agree with Rosie, that is how I do comma placement too!

    Hugs
    Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful to have Rosie Dee to help me. I wished the parents writing some of these unclear notes had help too.

      Delete
  5. Read it just a Molly did. Amazing what a difference a bit of grammar cam make...

    ReplyDelete