I have been a wife and mother for over twenty years. Now I am becoming my husband's lover, too.
We owe it all to my fellow bloggers who gave me the courage to come out to my husband as a spanko.
I do feel like this is a New Beginning for us.

You must be 18 to view this site.

Thursday, April 28, 2022

Well, Bless Your Heart

As far as I know I’m one of very few southerns blogging these days. I know of many bloggers from the New England states, and some in the mid-west. I have a friend in the central part of the country and several on the west coast but not many others here in the south. And I know several from other countries. But I felt I was in a good position to answer this question.



I was happy to get an email from a good friend the other day. She was asking about the phrase, ‘Bless your heart.’ My daughter-in-law says it's a Southern thing and it is not sincere.  But I never doubt your sincerity when you say it to me.  What's the deal with this expression?  We never used it in where I came from.  My DIL was the first person who ever said it to me and she had to tell me it was a snide remark.  

 

I was delighted by her “bless your heart” question. I’m guessing she isn’t the only one confused. It must be instinctive in southern women because any southern woman (well, any female over the age of two) know which way ‘bless your heart’ is intended. It’s like understanding that ‘y’all’ is singular and ‘all y’all’ is plural.



There are three basic ways bless your heart is used. The first is absolutely sincerely. If you say it to someone face to face, or in a text or an email we are truly asking God to bless you. You say this to friends and loved ones who might be going through a hard time, large or small. Anything from a dinged fender to the death of a pet and it’s meant as a comfort to a person you care about. 



The second use of bless your heart is probably used the most often. It’s way of negating something insulting you’ve said about someone. Southern women are taught to be polite. So if you say something unkind about someone you can use the all covering, ‘bless their heart.’

 

 

Examples:  She’s as ugly as homemade sin, bless her heart. 

 

That boy’s dumber than a box of rocks, bless his heart.

 

That school choir sounds like somebody trying to baptize a cat, bless their hearts.

 

You see, it’s not insulting if you bless them afterwards.

 

And then there is the angry ‘bless your heart.’ Suppose a friend tell you she overheard another friend saying your baby is ugly. Your response might be a steely eyed stare and, “Did she now? Well bless her heart.” Which translated for non-southerns would read, “She said what? Well she can kiss my fu*kin’ ass!” Remember one must be polite at all times.

 

I hope this lesson is a unique southernism has helped. It was fun to try and explain. And just as a bonus lesson - 




10 comments:

  1. LoL PK, I enjoyed the lesson. I didn't realise "bless your heart" was quite the southern saying lol.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it's southern all right!

      Delete
  2. PK, I had no idea that phrase was so versatile.
    I learned about the difference between y'all and all y'all from a teacher in Austin, TX while she was giving us a training course at work. We say "you's" instead (both singular and plural).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You's would work. It's all just where you live.

      Delete
  3. thank-you for the enriching language lesson :-) Bless your heart (and I mean that in the most sincerest and loving of ways.) ♥♥♥ Big hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would always know that would be sincere from you.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous11:04 AM

    I enjoyed the lesson. I’ve definitely heard the insult but your explanation was perfect!
    Rosie Dee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you know me, a teacher at heart.

      Delete
  5. Excellent explanation !! Was listening to the TV and a commercial for Young Sheldon (?) came on and he said "and she doesn't mean that in the nice way" and I got it!! LOL all because of your lesson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha... and that's why we blog. To help us all learn.

      Delete