I have been a wife and mother for over twenty years. Now I am becoming my husband's lover, too.
We owe it all to my fellow bloggers who gave me the courage to come out to my husband as a spanko.
I do feel like this is a New Beginning for us.

You must be 18 to view this site.

Monday, April 20, 2020

LJ lost an old friend

LJ and Colin are still doing well in NYC. Staying in is driving LJ nuts, but he’s doing it and work is going well. One thing he misses more than most anything is his special bar. The group that gets together every Monday night is very special to him. He compares it to a church. Not that it is religious in any way, but he says the community feel is the same. They care about each other, they keep up with one another and in the current crises check in to make sure everyone has what they need and to make sure everyone is coping as well as they can.


One of his special friend at the bar is Bev. She LOVES the club and often comes on Monday nights, because the boys that show up then are her favorites. You know I’m talking gay bar, right? LJ has mentioned her several times and sometimes sends me pictures and videos. Unlike most of those at the bar, Bev is always dressed elegantly - hair and make up done just right. Also Bev is somewhere between 85 and 90 years old.

But Bev wasn’t the old friend he lost, it was Bev’s mother, Mary. She often accompanied her daughter to the bar, just as elegantly attired. She was 105. She celebrated her last birthday at the bar. They had a big cake with candles for her and after singing Happy Birthday, everyone sang her favorite song, written in 1925 by Irving Berlin – Always, which ends…

Days may not be fair always,
That's when I’ll be there always.
Not for just an hour,
Not for just a day,
Not for just a year,
But always.

Not for just an hour,
Not for just a day,
Not for just a year,
But always.



LJ sent along the video and you could see the complete and absolute joy in her face, as well as her daughter's and truly everyone at the bar as they sang, while Mary blew kisses to everyone.

Last Friday, LJ texted me. He said: 

You’ve heard me talk of Mary. She was the 105 year old who came to the club. We just heard she died peacefully in her sleep a few days ago. I’m not really sad, more like proud of a job well done.

I have to agree with him. She sounds like she knew how to live. May we all live like Mary.



10 comments:

  1. Sorry for LJ's loss. Mary seems like she was a real joy to be around! Hugs, Windy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi PK, wow!I think it is so wonderful that Bev and Mary were regulars at the bar and were part of such a wonderful community.

    Sorry for LJ and Colin's loss. It's so lovely that Mary celebrated her last birthday at the bar among friends.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NYC is a fantastic place. And a truly unique bunch of people.

      Delete
  3. Poor LJ. He is right though, well done Mary.

    Hugs
    Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely. She sounds so special.

      Delete
  4. How lovely. Condolences to LJ, Bev and the rest of the club. It;s hard losing a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet that club really will miss her.

      Delete
  5. Sorry for LJ's loss. I would have liked to have met Mary.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete