I have been a wife and mother for over twenty years. Now I am becoming my husband's lover, too.
We owe it all to my fellow bloggers who gave me the courage to come out to my husband as a spanko.
I do feel like this is a New Beginning for us.

You must be 18 to view this site.

Monday, May 29, 2023

Wonder drug?

I guess wonder drugs are not always wonderful. I’ve been on Ozempic for seven months now. And while parts of the treatment are truly amazing, I’m not thrilled with all that it does. First the good parts. My blood sugar is doing great. I am still taking some metformin, but I’m down to one a day, rather than four. Anything that can get me off some meds is good in my book.



Now to speak to why I think most people are interested, the weight loss. I’ve been so shocked and pleased by all this. I’ve lost just shy of thirty pounds and that’s the part shocks and thrills me. But it’s still very strange. I can’t wear some of my favorite pants because I’m afraid that they’ll fall off in public. Looking in the mirror the other day I saw I had a thigh gap! My thighs have been rubbing together in a most annoying way for the past thirty-five year. I was stunned. I’m not quite used to all this change and I’m not sure what to do about my clothes. I still want things loose and comfortable, yet I’d like to show off the weight loss a little. I’m working on it.

 


I think being on Ozempic has taught me better eating habits, especially in portion control. You can’t overeat on Ozempic. You’ll be sick, I promise! When you’re full – STOP! I don’t care how good that last bite looks, if you feel full you better just leave it.

 

Now the not so good parts. It doesn’t work the same for everyone. A good friend began about a month ago and really hasn’t see much weight loss at all. Mine began almost at once.  I guess it reacts differently for different people. My biggest problem came when I went up to 2 mg. That’s when I began feeling nauseous most of the time. To be honest it was mild, but it didn’t matter. I either felt sick or felt like I was about to be sick if I did anything or even thought about eating. 


This went on for about two to three weeks and I decided I’d had enough. It was during this time I had that awful bout of vertigo (nothing to do with the Ozempic) so I’d felt pretty crappy for nearly a month when I told my doctor I was cutting the Ozempic down to 1 mg. Since then, I’ve felt human again, so much better. The best part is that my blood sugar is still down, and I haven’t gained any weight back. Now that I feel like exercising again, I feel like I’ll continue to lose.

 

Here are some thoughts for those of you thinking of trying it. Eat slowly and mindfully when you start. Don’t let your doctor rush you into increasing the dose. If it’s working where you are you don’t have to increase it right away. Now my friend is afraid to go up from .25 to .5 because she’s listened to my tales of woe. I suggested she try it. She’s not diabetic so she is only taking it for weight loss. If she isn’t losing on .25 and not willing to go up at all, then what’s the point of being on it in the first place. My most important piece of advice, pay attention to how you feel and while you should listen to your doctor and discuss things with him or her – the final decision is yours. Remember that.



6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:17 AM

    Hi PK,

    Some very sound advice, thank you for sharing.

    Wow, that is an amazing result. I say it's time for some retail therapy:)

    I'm glad reducing the dose again has helped make you feel better and great news that the blood sugar has remained stable. I do worry about people using it purely for weight loss, eg they are not diabetic.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It an interesting drug. It's promise as a weight loss drug could mean a lot to a lot of people, but no one can know what the side effects could show in the future. I'm leery of most drugs but this one has potential.

      Delete
  2. Good advice indeed. Ultimately you have to listen to what your body is saying. With meds it's really hard to say who'll benefit and who won't. Something that works well for one person may cause a whole bunch of side effects in another. Good on you for decided to bring the dose back down to something that your body can work with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have felt soooo much better since I cut back. If it come to a choice I'll choose fat over feeling sick all the time.

      Delete
  3. That's fabulous results for you. I think you made the right decision to reduce your meds. It does sound like an interesting drug. Good advice.
    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It deserves a lot of looking into. It's not perfect, but it's very helpful so far.

      Delete