I have been a wife and mother for over twenty years. Now I am becoming my husband's lover, too.
We owe it all to my fellow bloggers who gave me the courage to come out to my husband as a spanko.
I do feel like this is a New Beginning for us.

You must be 18 to view this site.

Thursday, February 17, 2022

Where should Bullet live?

Let me tell you a little of Bullet’s situation. He wandered into our family about eight to ten years ago. He was a nice little stray and FIL let him stay. The little valley where my in-laws lived it a pretty place. There are other houses within sight of their house, but too far away to shout a greeting. Their church is across one field beside their house, the cemetery across the field in the back.



Not our mountains, but this gives you the feel.


Bullet is an outside dog – won’t come in even if we try to entice him. If you sit on the porch he’ll come sit on your lap and let you pet him. But he only stays there for a bit and then he’s off again. He has a nice doghouse on the back porch, deep with straw very warm. They house is on a dirt road with little traffic and across this dirt road is a bubbling creek. 

 

Bullet owns this valley. We think he eats at several of the houses, because, while he loves a treat, he pays little attention to his food when we feed him. He heads to the church every Sunday morning where most of those in the congregation bring him a treat. He's always so happy to see the family come on Sunday, running to greet us each separately. But just greeting us then running off again. He’s just a happy little dog.

 

But what now?

 

I’m not happy about the few homes that have been mentioned. One of Nick’s sisters would like to have him. But she’s an accountant and during tax season she’s gone from 7:00AM until 9:PM and while she has a fenced yard, it’s about the size of a postage stamp. I don’t want him there. One of the ladies who helped FIL would give Bullet a home, but she lives on a busy road. That doesn’t seem safe. Bullet has never been tied or fenced in any way. None of the five kids really has a good place for him.



My choice is, leave him right there in his valley. Let him stay there and play in the creek and chase rabbits and visit the church and the cemetery and make the rounds of all the places that feed him. I know for a fact there will be someone from the family up there at least twice every week. SIL play the piano for the church on Sunday and has choir practice on Wednesdays. I know she would be more than willing to feed him on those days. I’d be happy to go up and feed him once or twice a week. I don’t anticipate this home place being sold right away and I feel there will be people in and out frequently.

 

With the family still around to check on him several times a week and everyone in the valley knowing they could call any of us if they think he needs anything, am I crazy to vote to leave him right where he is? I really feel that Bullet would be happier there than anywhere else. 

13 comments:

  1. Hi PK, that is a real dilemma. Poor Bullet will be missing your FIL. He sounds like an awesome dog, a real sweetheart. I think it's wonderful that he seems to have a number of people in his corner willing to look after him.

    What what you have described, perhaps it is best to leave him at the house, especially given that a number of people are willing to watch him and feed him there.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly FIL hadn't gotten to spend a lot of time with him lately, since Bullet won't come in and he wasn't out much. But the dog seemed to be happy with the people who came in and out.

      Delete
  2. Hard decision but I think you are probably right to leave him right where is is. As you say there are people who will feed and look our for him.

    He must be missing FIL so much.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think it's best for the time being.

      Delete
  3. soooooo I'm guessing Bullet is somewhere around 9 years old? FIL's house - are you selling it?? cause if you are the new owners may not be thrilled with Bullet visiting his dog house regularly on the back porch.....

    BUT I agree - if he can stay right where he is it would be the best solution....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've joked about selling the house 'as is - dog included.' It will be sold eventually, but I don't think anyone is in a real big hurry.

      Delete
  4. I don't approve of a dog being allowed to wander all over as he pleases. Any number of bad things could happen to him. Someone with a safe, fenced yard needs to step up and take him. Do you have any rescue groups? (I'm addicted to Pitbulls and Parolees tv show at the moment.)

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With most dogs and most situations I would agree. But this far in the country, it sees to have worked well with everyone around for many years. Certainly if he's still there when the house is sold we'll make sure he is in a good home. But in his case I think confining him to someone's yard is going to break his heart.

      Delete
  5. It seems to me that while Bullet may have been FIL's dog (somewhat), he probably still thinks of himself as a stray, coming and going as he pleases. If he's a roamer, confining him will be like putting him in prison. He probably has relationships with the other people in the area as well and they're ALL his family / pack. I would leave him and then see what happens when the house is sold. If he doesn't go inside and the new owners don't welcome him in their area, it's possible they'll just shoo him away when he comes around and he'll not be as likely to go near them anyway, if he's not welcome. Or they can put up a fence to keep him out. Either way, he still gets free reign over the rest of his turf!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true. Where I'd never let a dog run wild here at my home - for his safety and mine, I just hate to change Bullet's way of life. As I picture it the house won't be sold for at least a year. I think we'll wait and see what happens.

      Delete
  6. Such a hard decision to make. He seems like a dog who enjoys his freedom. Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does. I'm scared he'd try to get back there if he was taken away.

      Delete
  7. Titanium Blade | iTanium Arts
    Titanium Blade is a titanium shift knob lightweight blade razor that aims to strike at the slightest of titanium wood stoves the slightest of bites. 2020 ford edge titanium for sale The micro touch titanium trim Blade can reach up to 12 iron titanium inches (9.2") and

    ReplyDelete