I have been a wife and mother for over twenty years. Now I am becoming my husband's lover, too.
We owe it all to my fellow bloggers who gave me the courage to come out to my husband as a spanko.
I do feel like this is a New Beginning for us.

You must be 18 to view this site.

Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Home, then off again


We’re back home safe and sound and the trip was wonderful. Being home is wonderful too. My brain still hasn’t completely caught up with me – you know it tends to wander. On the last leg home we were delayed again and again at the airport for over five hours. Once we landed at our home airport we had a ninety minute drive home. We got here after 2 AM and we are definitely too old to handle that hour!

The trip was wonderful. Home body that I am, I still enjoyed it greatly. I want to tell you more about it and I’ll share more pictures but at the moment I’m planning to take off again. My last uncle passed away while we were gone. My grandparents had eight children, seven boys and a girl. They were fantastic people! When I hear someone speaking of the ‘Greatest Generation’ this is the bunch I think of. All were in the military and all but the youngest served overseas in WWII.


My uncle Charles, who just passed, had been overseas for two years. When he learned he was being shipped home, he kept it a secret from his family. Arriving home he planned to sneak upstairs and simply come down and join his parents for a dinner surprise. As he hurried up the steps to avoid being seen, my grandmother called from the kitchen, “Charles, is that you?” Eight children, this one away for over two years and not expected home and yet she knew the sound of his footsteps. That story always amazed me.

When my dad passed, the preacher told the story of  a car accident where my parents, not yet married, and my uncle Charles and his future wife were riding in the mountains. The story went that my Dad was driving when it went off the road and they crashed down the hillside. Thankfully, no one was hurt. Back at our home after the funeral, Charles said, “Let me correct what the preacher said. He was right when he said your mom and dad were in the front seat, but no one was driving!” 

I’m flying out for the funeral Thursday. Nick really needed to get back to work, though he offered to try to get another day off so he could drive there with me. But he’s exhausted and his sister is having surgery today. The other sister is caring for her. Nick will be helping more with his dad. I could have driven there alone, but it’s just to the edge of being too far and I do tend to fall asleep when in a car – whether or not I’m driving. Flying seemed the best plan.

After I get home, I hope I can stay for a long while! I’m ready to start writing again. A new book began working in my head during some of our driving time out west. I’m ready to start typing! Back soon.

27 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear of your last uncle passing PK. My prayers and thoughts are with you and the whole family. Safe travels.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindy. He did have a good, long life. I'm looking forward to seeing my family.

      Delete
  2. Hi PK, glad you had such a wonderful time away. Argh about the delays getting home.

    I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. What a wonderful, close and loving family. I love the story of your uncle trying to surprise your grandparents. A mother knows :) Travel safe.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were such a good fun bunch. I love to sit and listen to all the brothers and the one sister. They were a hoot!

      Delete
  3. PK,

    I am glad you enjoyed your time away.

    I am sending hugs to you while you deal with your last uncle's passing. I am so sorry to hear that.

    Boo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the hugs - they are always appreciated.

      Delete
  4. Glad the whole trip was wonderful. It was great that we could have a dinner with you and Nick! Sorry to hear about your uncle, but you wrote a terrific little eulogy there. You should share it with the rest of the family, PK.

    Much love,
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved having dinner with you and getting to meet your hubby! When we all get together we share story after story.

      Delete
  5. Sounds like you had a wonderful vacation, PK ... the coming home part of a vacation is always the hardest but to have to contend with long delays ... not fun, I'm sure.

    So very sorry to hear about your Uncle. Your love and affection comes through in your tribute. Have a special reconnect with those who loved him just as much as you. And may these travels be swift with no delays ... hugs ... nj

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really great. But yeah, the trip home was tiring. The flight to the funeral is non-stop so hopefully not as tiring.

      Delete
  6. Glad you had a good trip, but I'm sorry about your uncle. Those are some awesome stories though. That his mom knew his foot steps. And that no one was driving. Hmm... what ever could they have been doing? LOL!!! Guessing the gear shift got hit by mistake? I hope you'll have some more loving memories shared at the funeral.
    Hugs, EsMay

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love picturing my parents being young and making out (while he was supposed to be driving). Of those eight kids and twenty-six cousins there have only been four divorces - and one was long before I was born.

      Delete
  7. I love what you wrote, PK! What lovely family memories and funny, too! I wish you a comforting time with your relatives and friends as you remember all the great things about your Uncle. Safe travels to you. Looking forward to your safe and happy return. Hugs! Windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love my family. That's why I have the reunion here every year for many of the folks I'll see at the funeral. I like that we see each other for visits other than funerals.

      Delete
  8. I loved reading the stories of your uncle. So sorry he has passed away.

    Happy you had a good holiday.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great. Also I'll enjoy time with my extended family.

      Delete
  9. Anonymous5:45 AM

    So sorry to hear about your uncle. I know you will cherish the memories. Sue-B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. He was a great guy.

      Delete
  10. I am glad you had such a wonderful trip full of memories.
    I am sorry for the loss of your uncle - it sounds like you have a wonderful family full of great stories and memories to treasure. Hugs to you ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The trip was a lot of fun! I'm glad I had my uncle as long as I did.

      Delete
  11. Keep that focus on WONDERFUL.
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous9:57 AM

    PK,
    Your adventure with Nck looks wonderful. You saw things that all of us need to appreciate. So sorry bout the passing of a loved one. Thanking of you,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was Nick's first time seeing the sights of the west. They are so impressive.

      Delete
  13. Safe travels. Enjoy your cousins while you mourn the loss of your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got some great cousins. I will enjoy them.

      Delete
  14. I'm coming to this a little late but want to say how wonderful it is that you have such a large and loving family to support each other. The heart hurts no matter how old the loved one was. Maybe you should write a book with family stories. It sounds like you'd have a lot of material.
    Rosie Dee

    ReplyDelete