I have been a wife and mother for over twenty years. Now I am becoming my husband's lover, too.
We owe it all to my fellow bloggers who gave me the courage to come out to my husband as a spanko.
I do feel like this is a New Beginning for us.

You must be 18 to view this site.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Letting go of fear

We all have fears. Fear keeps us from running into a burning building, it keeps us from leaping off high cliffs and it can keep us from walking down a dark dangerous street late at night. There is nothing wrong with good honest fear.

But as I think to the time I began blogging, my fears surrounding the idea were substantial. I feared ‘strangers’ on the internet.
Haven’t we all been warned since the internet began? I feared sharing my strange desire for spanking with Nick. I certainly feared someone else would find out – my boss, my friends, my church, my in-laws, and of course my children. I was so careful I created a different identity, new email, new passwords for my computer. I even feared these things. Would I be in trouble (with whom I didn’t know) for creating this false identity. Probably some of the fear caused excitement and that wasn’t a totally bad thing.

Over the years I’ve watched these fears fade away almost to the point that I can’t remember what I feared in the first place. Would I have lost my teaching position if those at the education center had found out I wrote a spanko blog and eventually that I wrote books containing spanking and sex? I don’t know. Here in a southern small town, I guess I could have. Fighting it would have been embarrassing at the time. That fear could have been legitimate.

As the years went by I began telling my real life friends, they were great. Most were amused, and all seemed to have a live and let live attitude. As for the church, I remember asking here on the blog about what to tell the new minister the first time I met her. I asked, “Should I lead with the fact that I write sexy books, or that my son’s gay?” Turns out we discussed both the first day we met and she was totally fine with both things.

As for Nick’s family, no reason to fear there. I could be on the New York Times best seller list and make more money than EL James and they would never acknowledge it. These people, who are fine people even if they do piss me off, could ignore an elephant as big as a house in the room. Just as they ignore LJ and his marriage. To them gay marriage, as well as my books, don’t exist.

I did fear my children discovering ‘our secret’ before they were old enough to understand just how consensual it was. I couldn’t let them help me with my technology questions because I didn’t want them to see the spanking pictures I posted. But as they grew up, that last fear faded with their maturity. Both know what I write and both seem glad that it makes me happy. Mollie has never read one of my books, she says she doesn’t want to. But she has bought everyone when it came out to support me. I think that’s very sweet.

This weekend Mollie was home. She was cooking for a tailgate party she was going to and I, being the good mother, was in the kitchen pestering her and generally getting in her way. Exasperated she came out with an empty threat she heard often as a child, ‘If you don’t get out of here I’m going to get the paint stick.’ Then she added, ‘Never mind, you weirdo, you’d probably like it.’  I burst out laughing and she joined me. We’ve come a long way.

It’s been a long journey, letting go of these fears. It’s been a good journey. I’ve gained confidence in myself and lost the worry of what other’s think of me. I’m comfortable with who I am and what I do. That’s a wonderful feeling.

24 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:15 AM

    PK,
    I absolutely love this post on "Fear". Remember I have seen you in action being very comfortable with who you are. I am not in the same place. I cannot tell anyone who is not in my ttwd "family". You are most brave and I so admire that. The exchange with Mollie is priceless. Love her!
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone has to be where they are. It's been a very gradual thing for me. But I do like where I am now. Mollie is a hoot!

      Delete
  2. Hi PK, I feel just like you. It is not much of a secret here either. At the weekend I had to have computer help from my youngest and he saw lots of stuff and politely said nothing!
    love Jan, xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's it wonderful when we can get that computer help from our kids. I like grown children!

      Delete
  3. Hi PK, what an absolutely wonderful post! I think most of us have the same or similar fears, I know I did.

    I am so glad, and happy for you that you are so comfortable with the inner you and that you feel able to share. That is so awesome :) I haven't told anyone in RL.

    The exchange with Mollie is priceless lol.

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first friend I told forced it out of me. She wanted to know what I was so happy about - it was a big change. She thought it was so funny!

      Delete
  4. This is such a good post, PK. I guess we mature even at our age. I do not fear exposure as much anymore either. This makes me think of the quote from Roosevelt, "...that the only thing we need to fear is fear itself."

    Your relationship with your kids is something of which you should feel very proud.

    Hugs From Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roosevelt was right. I feel I keep maturing. I can keep calmer and at the same time I'm more likely than I used to be to speak up when I need to.

      Delete
  5. That a great post. I love the even Molly thinks you're 'wierd'. just like the rest of us. Laughing hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, as usual you and Mollie are in agreement!

      Delete
  6. Your post brought a huge smile to my face, PK. And I have to say...I adore Mollie and her sense of humor! Thanks for sharing and happy you are over your fear.

    Hugs and blessings...Cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She is beautiful and funny too!

      Delete
  7. I am so happy for you, my heart is bursting. You deserve all of the positive responses and none of the negative. You are such a great person. Yay PK! But I am still fearing a lot...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're sweet Blondie. It's a more relaxing live without the worry.

      Delete
  8. I loved the exchange with Mollie, you have a great relationship with her, she is one of the bes

    Wonderful pade me smile. Happy happy.

    Love,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mollie and I are close and she is so much fun to be around. I'm very lucky!

      Delete
  9. Lovely post PK and happy you can tell friends and family about this now. I'm still very cautious as wonder what people would think of me.
    I have had a bit of a talk with D1 about our lifestyle but didn't go into depth. She told me she knew there was something going on with us anyway. so maybe others know without me telling them also.
    Hugs Lindy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is nothing wrong with caution. No one really knows how others will react. I think I was very fortunate.

      Delete
  10. So happy that you are comfortable in your ttwd skin. I don’t fear being ‘outed’ but I’d rather keep it secret from my non-spanky friends.
    Mollie’s a real gem.
    Rosie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good feeling. I understand your feelings. I think most of the non-spanko that I've told it's that they are amused for a moment and then never think of it again.

      Delete
  11. Hi PK, :) Loved this post! It’s awesome that you are so comfortable with who you are, and especially ttwd! I wish that I could go there, but I know that others would not take to it well. I do sense that our kids know something, in varying degrees. Our oldest daughter for sure, knows the most. I’m okay with that. They see their parents still madly in love, after all these years.

    Mollie is a treasure! Her words completely cracked me up! Hilarious!! Many hugs,

    ❤️Katie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No one should tell anyone until they are comfortable. The main thing our kids noticed when we began all this was just how happy we were. When they see that everything else will be fine.

      Delete
  12. Thank-you for sharing you all these years. I am glad that through the years you have let go of your fears. Slowly, I am trying to do the same, but not fully ready to let go yet. Someday. I hope. But I am am comfortable with this part of myself and I am glad to share with all my friends here. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never rush yourself - I didn't. And to tell the truth, I never thought I would let go of the fear. It kind of happened on it's own and had a lot to do with my children being grown. I'm glad you're comfortable.

      Delete