I have been a wife and mother for over twenty years. Now I am becoming my husband's lover, too.
We owe it all to my fellow bloggers who gave me the courage to come out to my husband as a spanko.
I do feel like this is a New Beginning for us.

You must be 18 to view this site.

Monday, March 20, 2023

A problem

I have a problem. When you think of all the problems in the world it’s not huge, but it’s really bothering me.

 

I enjoy writing and getting Cassie’s story out into the world. I’ve been working with my publisher since they took over my first publishing company in about 2016. They have always treated me well, made payments on time and answered any question I had promptly.

 


Suddenly all that has stopped. They have stopped communicating with me in any way – totally ignoring the last three emails I’ve sent them. They are no longer sending invoices stating what books I’ve sold each month as they used to do, and they have stopped paying me. I wasn’t paid in October, got a late payment last November and not a dime since. I’ve not heard one word from them since November. I’m not the only one this is happening to. The same thing is happening to many others and with them not answering emails I’m not sure what recourse we have. There is a rumor that they have gone back to paying quarterly, but not one word to me or to the other authors I’m in contact with. So, who knows.

 

I have another Cassie book, the next to the last one, nearly ready to go. But I can’t in good conscience send it to a company that refuses to communicate with me – or pay me. I don’t know what to do, their contract say they want the rights of first refusal of any books with Cassie and friends as characters. But would you say that by not answering emails, not communicating in any way and certainly not paying, it’s breaking the contract from their side?

 

I don’t know what to do or who to try to talk to. Getting my own lawyer is an option, but it would definitely not be cost effective. I’m not making a great deal of money right now, but it is my money and I want it. And I’m certainly not making enough to pay for a lawyer.

 

I’m so frustrated. Thanks for letting me vent – I’ll keep you posted.

11 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:36 AM

    Hi PK,

    I'm sorry to hear this, it truly sucks that you are being treated this way. I wish I had some advice. I think you will need to be careful not to do anything that could be perceived as breach of contract at your end.

    I really hope you are able to resolve the issues and lack of communication. If they have changed how they make payment you would think they should have informed the authors!

    Hugs
    Roz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all just so confusing. We've always worked well together. I just wish I knew what was going on.

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry to hear it isn't working out with this publisher. My first thought was to switch to another publisher, but then there is the contract to consider.

    You could try asking on https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/

    Hugs,
    Hermione

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good idea Hermione, I'll give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  3. PK, sorry to hear this. Not sure what to suggest. I hope you can sort this out. Keep us informed please.
    LOve,
    Ronnie
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be sure to let you know what's happening.

      Delete
  4. As far as free advise goes, here is mine... I'm sure you know some authors that already jumped the ship (that publishing house). Maybe you can reach out and ask how they dealt with the existing contracts? I really like Hermione's advise. Also, first consultation could be free. Or the fee could be based on the amount recovered, same way as injury lawyers work. Or pro bono lawyer? Kink friendly pro bono lawyer? That sounds like a wet dream now. Feel free to use for your next series. *wink wink

    Is there any other way to contact them beside email, like good old fashion phone or mail, to send a registered mail to their billing department?

    I really enjoyed reading your other series, about Cal and Jenny! Gasp, maybe the universe is telling you to start new series, or continue the ones not within that contract?? I know how much you love Cassie, but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know a few people I can talk with. I guess I need to get on that. I do know my next contact will be a registered letter as well as a copy of it in email.

      I have one more book finished and then I have one more to write in the On the River series - it kind of wraps everything up and I want it out there. And that will be the last of the Cassie books.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like they went out of business. Did they have a website? You could try doing a broader web search, like looking on LinkedIn, to see if you can find a person who knows something. I hope you find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do know, from facebook, that they are still publishing books. I've talked to several writers and I agree that the best thing for us is if they did go out of business or bankrupt. If that happens we get the rights to our books back - and I sure want that more than the money.

      Delete
  6. I wouldn't know about the legalities in where-u-live, so i cant help much. Hermione has a good suggestion there. and also, if you have a lawyer friend just to get a feel of what do to next?

    If I were you I'd want out of there ASAP too! But there is that contract to consider. I hope you figure out a solution soon!

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete